Header photo


Fountain In this location was once located the hotel of Effiat, (Marquis of Effiat, Marshal of France and father of Cinq-Mars (see below) dating back to the first half of the XVIIe century.
The Marquis' son, HENRI COIFFIER RUZE D'EFFIAT, MARQUIS CINQ-MARS (1620-1642), was a French courtier,  and was introduced to the court of Louis XIII by Richelieu, who had been a friend of his father and who hoped he would counteract the influence of the queen's favourite Mlle. deHautefort. Owing to his handsome appearance and agreeable manners he soon became a favourite of the king, and was made successively master of the wardrobe and master of the horse. After distinguishing himself at the siege of Arras in 1640, CinqMars wished for a high military command, but Richelieu opposed his pretensions and the favourite talked rashly about overthrowing the minister. He was probably connected with the abortive rising of the count of Soissons in 1641; however that may be, in the following year he formed a conspiracy with the duke of Bouillon and others to overthrow Richelieu. This plot was under the nominal leadership of the king's brother Gaston of Orleans. The plans of the conspirators were aided by the illness of Richelieu and his absence from the king, and at the siege of Narbonne, Cinq-Mars almost induced Louis to agree to banish his minister. Richelieu, however, recovered, became acquainted with the attempt of Cinq-Mars to obtain assistance from Spain, and laid the proofs of his treason before the king, who ordered his arrest. Cinq-Mars was brought to trial, admitted his guilt, and was condemned to death. He was executed at Lyons on the 12th of September 1642. It is possible that Cinq-Mars was urged to engage in this conspiracy by his affection for Louise Marie de Gonzaga (1612-1667), afterwards queen of Poland, who was a prominent figure at the court of Louis XIII.; and this tradition forms part of the plot of Alfred de Vigny's novel Cinq-Mars and Gounod's opera of the same name. [Courtesy of Encyclopedia Brittania.]
The hotel Effiat was destroyed in 1882 to create this impasse.  The name "rue du Tresor" was given to this impasse when it was discovered, at the time of the demolition of the hotel in 1882,  of a treasure chest of money dating back to the 14th century.  The fountain at the end of the impasse is perhaps a remnant of the hotel.
In 2001, after years serving as a conduit of commercial activity, the Mayor of Paris designated rue du Tresor to be revamped as a pedestrian only street.  Work was completed in April, 2004.